On Sunday 18 February 2007 09:09, Peter Breger wrote:
> Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > * Peter Breger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [02-18-07 09:29]:
> >> eth0 device: 3Com [and all kinds of bla bla on hardware card]
> >> eth0 dhcpcd is still waiting for data
> >>  waiting
> >> eth0 interface could not be set up until now.

> > issue as root, rcnetwork restart.
> >
> > ping an outside connection to check status, ping yahoo.com
> but the router is correctly keeping all other PCs happy on the network,
> It is the boot process on the Linux that is
> at fault, being the only process which is not successful. Manual YaST
> setup succeeds. (Same as simultaneous use on other computers running
> windows does not show any problems at all).

Hi Peter,

Have you tried to setup static address for your connection?
This will either solve your problem or make possible to cut and paste text
direct from Linux box to continue DHCP troubleshooting :-)

You need some local address that is not used by router as DHCP range.
By now all routers, that I have configured, don't use range between
192.168.x.201 and 192.168.x.254.
The default route is your router 192.168.1.1 (I guess).
The name server is the same as default route.
Subnet Mask is usually 255.255.255.0

In YaST -- Network Devices -- Network Card use for this time Traditional
Method with ifup. In Network Address Setup window mark:
x Static Address Setup

IP Address <some from range above 192.168.1.201 and 192.168.1.254>
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Click on Host and Name Server. It will pop up the window with warning, click
on Modify. For now leave Hostname and Domain Name fields unchanged.
Name Server 1 is <you-router IP> for instance 192.168.1.1 and you don't need
any other entry on local network, router is taking care of that.
Click OK.

Now you have to configure Routing that is hidden under the same name button.
Enter in the field Default Gateway <you-router IP> ie. 192.168.1.1
Click OK.
Click Next and Finish.

--
Regards, Rajko.