I have a new 64 bit systen upon which I wish to install the 64 bit SUES 10.2
distribution.

Currently it's a bare bones box with a GB of RAM.  The IDE primary master is a
TSST Corp CD/DVD and the SATA0 primary channel is a WDC WD2500KS-0  HD.  I
have also installed a IDE to PCI card as I have three IDE drives in my current
linux system that I want to install in the new computer once I get the OS
installed.

Now to the problem.  If I boot the machine with the #1CD it boots into the
linux installer without any problems. In fact the boot messages tell me that
the system found the mouse.  Unfortunately, when the gui opens the mouse
doesn't work.

The BIOS has both the USB and the USB 2.0 controller enabled and the USB
Legacy Support set on AUTO.

I recognize no references to the mouse, keyboard, PS/2 or any IRQ or interrupt
settings in the BIOS.  The motherboard is a MSI MS-7260.

The boot messages tell me that the process has activated usb devices.  The
only kernal message that I recognize as referring to the mouse is that 'PS/2
mouse device common for all mice'.

Both the the keyboard and the mouse are PS/2.  The keyboard works, the mouse
doesn't (both work on my current linux machine running SuSE 9.3).

I might also mention that I have no intention of installing Microsoft products
on this machine

Now, I am not a hardware person.  What do I have to do to get the mouse to
function?

Thanks in advance.