On Monday 26 February 2007 06:05:06 am Damon Register wrote:
> I have an IBM NetVista PC with a 866 MHz Pentium 3.  I just upgraded
> to a new Samsumg DVD writer drive.  The bios is configured to have the
> DVD drive before the hard drive in the boot order.  The PC is able to
> boot with CD1 of the OpenSuSE 10.2 CD set but it does not boot from
> the OpenSuSE 10.2 DVD.  If SuSE is installed from CD and the PC is
> running, it is able to read from that 10.2 DVD.  The PC bios is
> updated with the latest available from IBM.
>
> Damon Register

Does any bootable DVD you are trying to boot on this PC, boot on any other
PC/DVD combination? If yes, then it is probably the DVD drive. Find the
latest firmware for the DVD drive and update it. It is not the PC's BIOS
since it will boot from CD and bootable CD/DVDs share pretty much identical
boot code (usually an image of a bootable 3.5" 1.44/2.88MB floppy).

Booting to a CD and then swapping in a DVD is a valid way to get a system
installed.

Stan