On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 23:48 -0900, John Andersen wrote:
> On Monday 26 February 2007, Hans van der Merwe wrote:
> > This will probably spark some debates, but can someone point me to some
> > information that I can use to successfully challenge out IT department
> > concerning moving some Windows driven services to Linux (file, print and
> > email/collaboration).
> >
> > An anti-FUD cheat-sheet if you like.
>
> The only part of that debate you can't easily win is the much vaunted
> "collaboration" services.
>
> Everything else, Linux exceeds windows capability in so many ways
> that name them becomes tedious
>
> Samba is better at file and print sharing than is windows itself.
>
> Collaboration is a code word for Outlook and exchange server.  Some
> office droids live in Office.  They think it IS what computers are.  I know
> some who simply don't know how to run their computer if they can't get
> office to work.  Its how they launch every other application they use.
>
> Until there is a foss Exchange that works well, I'd let them have that point.

Agreed, especially with a MS Portal running aswell - this thing
integrates into every part of Office - very difficult to argue against
(except price maybe, but we have a Site License so everything is Free,
yes those words were actually uttered to me not so long ago, thats why
Im on the war path!)

For Exchange/Collaboration replacement Im looking into Scalix - seems
capable?

E-Mail disclaimer:
http://www.sunspace.co.za/emaildisclaimer.htm