On Thursday 01 March 2007 12:13, Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
> My WiFi card works when I boot up, but does not continue to work
> when I take the laptop while it is on and move to another room.
        There are several things you can do... first (just covering the bases
so
please dont be offended) understand that the wifi is a radio link... wireless
is a radio transceiver. When you stand up and walk (with the laptop) into
another room your body can interfere with the signal in unpredictable and
significant ways... depending on your distance from the router, whether your
body is between the router and your laptop, and the physical position of the
router in your house. Ok.
        1) Try to mount the router (wireless hub) at a place in your house that
is
mostly central to the main locations you will working from--- a central
hallway between the two room you most frequent might work.
        2)  Check the antenae on your router. If it has two, use them, but make
sure
they are extended and free from obstructions (metal) that might interfere
with the radio signal.
        3) You might want to try another card. The Netgear folks have really
been
able to significantly increase the range and speed of the cards/routers with
recent wifi technology.
        4) When you carry your laptop, do not hold the antenae area (or cover
it with
your hand) and carry the unit with the antenae positioned towards the router
antenae.

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><