Bruce,

On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 09:35 -0500, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Monday 05 March 2007 09:12, Magnus Boman wrote:
> > I do have a separate ext2 partition for GRUB. But from that one, I only
> > want to do a chainload to the GRUB that get's installed with the OS. And
> > it doesn't seem to work if the filesystem is XFS.
>
> So you are still trying to run GRUB from an XFS partition...
>
> Why are you chainloading to another partition?   And you are trying to load
> the kernel and initrd from a XFS partition.

What I want to have is the following;

sda1    ext2    Contains my "Master GRUB" which only do chainloading
sda2    swap
sda3    extended
sda5    xfs     (Operating system 1)
sda6    xfs     (Operating system 2)
sda7    xfs     (Operating system 3)
sda8    xfs     (Operating system 4)

etc...

In my menu.lst file on sda1, I have

Title OS 1
  root (hd0,4)
  chainloader +1

.
.
.

Title OS 4
  root (hd0,7)
  chainloader +1

This will allow me to have 3 instances of the same os (eg openSUSE 10.3
Alpha1) and I will never have to worry about the install/kernel upgrade
messing with /boot on sda1. I also don't have to worry about adding
kernel and initrd lines manually for each install.

> Make a separate /boot partition and solve your problem.    Or not.....

Well, problem is sort of solved by not using XFS. This works fine with
ReiserFS and ext3. It's just that I've been using XFS for a while. Don't
really care what filesystem I use for these as they are all lab installs
and will be reinstalled every so often.

So, in summary, this configuration will make it easy for me to
install/reinstall/blow away os's as I want and never have to worry about
grub (the "master" GRUB will never change and the GRUB installed at the
root partition of each OS will be taken care of automatically)

Cheers,
Magnus