On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 16:30 +0100, Matthias Hopf wrote:
> On Mar 05, 07 16:43:13 +0200, Hans van der Merwe wrote:
> > I use AIGLX in nVidia driver - works perfectly - movies play on rotated
> > cube - folding maxed windows etc.
>
> You are NOT using AIGLX in the NVIDIA driver - NVIDIA doesn't use AIGLX.
>
> NVIDIA had accelerated indirect rendering (guess what AIGLX stands for)
> almost since day one (say: 5 years ago or more). The AIGLX framework is
> *only* used by open source drivers as we speak.
>
> NVIDIA has implemented EXT_pixmap_from_texture as well, which enables
> compiz - just like the AIGLX and Xgl do as well.
>
> The NVIDIA implementation obviously works very well together with OpenGL
> and XVideo - though there are still some rough edges.
>

> Can everybody please stop distributing this FUD any further? Wrong
> statements don't get right by repeating them over and over...

I agree. Part of the reason is that people are just spewing names of
components without knowing where they fit in the grand scheme of things.

What I would like to see is a list of which groups of these things work
best together. Something like, "Given that you use the nvidia driver,
these are the best components to use: ...". Or "Given that you are using
the XOrg driver, these are the best components to use: ...".  I know
this is a moving target, but at least this could get many people started
with a decent setup. Exploration can happen later.

I think that the many descriptions of how to set this up do not make the
matter more clear. There is too much of an assumption that everyone
knows what the various components are.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST