Peter,

On Tuesday 06 March 2007 12:08, Peter Bradley wrote:

> > Did you, by any chance, tweak your RAM access parameters in the
> > BIOS for speed purposes? If so, go back into the BIOS and let it
> > use the RAM's SPD (Serial Presence Detect) to determine the
> > appropriate RAM access parameters.
>
> Heh!  You're joking, Randall.  Just thinking about unscrewing the
> case makes me go weak at the knees.

Well, BIOS configuration doesn't involve internal surgery, you know.
It's just more of that magical keyboard incantation stuff that
programmer geeks do so well...

> > If not, you're probably just going to have to replace that RAM.
>
> Yup.  Looks like it.  I think I need to give the vendors a call.  The
> box is only 6 months old.

So I take it you didn't build this system yourself? Replacing RAM is not
that big of a deal, but if you want to take advantage of the
manufacturer's warranty, then I guess it doesn't really matter.

And James' point that the problem may be on the mainboard is a
possibility, though it's an outside one, given how few addresses
exhibited problems. Mainboard problems are likely to affect broad
swathes of addresses based on the failure of particular address line or
lines. Data-line failures would probably affect all addresses, But in
either of those cases the machine probably wouldn't even pass its
power-on self-test (POST).

> Thanks
>

> Peter

Randall Schulz