John Andersen wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 March 2007, John ffitch wrote:
>
>> I was using my laptop (Suse10.2) and tried switching my microphone on
>> in alsamixer -- everything went quiet.  Now I have no sound other that
>> the beeps.  aplay says it is playing but silence.  Audacity says it is
>> playing and silence.
>>   I have done the obvious -- nothing is muted in alsamnixer;
>> re-configured the sound card; rebooted the machien.  Powered it off,
>> waited and restarted -- and still silence.
>>
>> I was using the sound earlier in the day, and I NEED the sound to
>> teach my DSP class.  Any ideas of (a) what happened and more
>> importantly (b) how to restore sounds?
>>
>> Machine is ThinkPadX40
>>
>> ==John ffitch
>>

> I'm guessing its an intel sound chipset.   What a flaming
> piece of crap that High Definition Audio is.
>
> Start by yast, ripping out the sound system and putting it
> back in piece by piece.
>
> I had one new Dell 9200 desktop that simply refused to give
> sound for more than a few minutes. I dicked around with it for
> three hours and finally said enough, grabbed a ancient sound blaster
> card out of the spare parts bin, slapped it in and had sound
> in 5 minutes flat.

I have an HP dv5237cl and lost the Microphone sometime back.  The audio
out was
very weak too.  I replaced the alsa stuff by compiling the latest from
the alsa web site and my audio volume out was restored to normal.  The
microphone issues persisted.
I notice a new RC from Alsa now so will eventually get around to trying
that.  Meanwhile, I purchased a USB headset and the microphone works
perfectly for Skype etc.