Anders Norrbring wrote:
> Thomas Hertweck skrev:
>> [...]
>> No. It should be the time between sending a SIGTERM and a SIGKILL signal.
>>
>> The time when to start the shutdown process is given as a shutdown
>> argument, not an option.
>
> My mistake, sorry.
> Anyway, what's the default time? I can't see any option to find out..

You should really familiarise yourself with the manual pages... :)

man init:

When init is requested to change the runlevel, it sends the warning
signal SIGTERM to all processes that are undefined in the new runlevel.
  It then waits 5 seconds before forcibly terminating these processes
via the SIGKILL signal.[...]
telinit can also tell init how long it should wait between sending
processes the SIGTERM and SIGKILL signals. The default is 5 seconds,
but this can be changed with the -t sec option.