On Wednesday 14 March 2007 10:35, Stevens wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 March 2007 05:19, Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 14 March 2007 05:06:54 Stevens wrote:
> > > Media devices mount by the volume info which renders any
> > > software invalid that expects to see a fixed mount point. Yes, someone
> > > here posted a link to a workaround but my question is: why in Hell did
> > > Suse allow this bastardized code to make it into production in the
> > > first place? It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that
> > > the system should provide static mount points for a device, not the
> > > &%$#@ volume info of the media in it. </soapbox off>
> >
> > If you add the device to fstab, the media system will ignore the device
> > and not try to mount it. Now, for that you need a device name, and you
> > can get one using /dev/dsk/by-id I guess.
> >
> > I don't think there is any functonality lost here.
>
> You are certainly entitled to your opinion which, in this case, is wrong.
> Functionality IS lost when I have programs that cannot access the CD/DVD
> drive because they are looking for a /dev/cdrom or /dev/hdc mount point
> and wonderful Suse 10.2 won't provide it. Why not? Who knows. As one
> writer said here recently, Solaris has been providing both volume label
> mounts and links to device mount for years.
>
> Look, Mac, when a non-guru like my daughter or son-in-law runs into
> roadblocks like these, they don't have (and should not need) the expertise
> it takes to hammer out a command line workaround. The system should just
> work. No muss, no fuss, just work. And there are really important (to lots
> of folks) parts of Suse 10.2 that don't. At least they don't here. Just
> remember that Betamax was a superior video tape recording system but it
> lost out to VHS and became a historical footnote. I don't want Suse to do
> the same because the system development teams can't see the big picture.
>
> Fred

I really don't have anything useful to the list to add, but perhaps useful to
Novell and the developers:  I agree 100% with the previous writer.  If Linux
is ever to have a significant proportion of the market, it must be at least as
big as the Mac market to survive, and it _must be user-friendly_ or it will
be as dead as CPM and DOS.

--doug