On Wednesday 14 March 2007 09:29:34 pm Randall R Schulz wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 March 2007 20:56, Kai Ponte wrote:
> >
> > ...and don't forget that WinNT (XP/Vista/2003) is not preemptive
> > multitasking either. At least not at the kernel level like Linux 2.6+
> > is.
>
> You really ought to check your facts. You'll give software managers a
> bad name...

Huh?

Kernel 2.6+ has preemptive multitasking at the kernel level - a.k.a. a
preemptable kernel.

WinNT does not.

It does do user-level preemptive multitasking but not kernel level. Never had
it, supposedly will sometime soon. Of course, since the linux and windows
kernels are fairly similar in design I'm sure Windows will borrow whatever
was learned from Linux's implementation and then sue Novell for patent
violations.

(And you thought i was a pointy-haired guy who reboots his laptop by holding
it upside down and shaking.)

> > I was just trying to kill some processes on a Win2003 system today
> > and had to wait for the kernel to finish some tasks before it would
> > die.
>
> That can happen on Linux, too. Try to kill a process in a 'D' wait
> state. It's not possible. Extended duration of a D wait does imply a
> bug (usually in a disk or file system driver), but it happens.

Ooh, that's just nasty.

--
kai

Free Compean and Ramos