On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 20:14 +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> The Friday 2007-03-16 at 16:59 +0100, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
>
> > photocells to precisely locate control measurements. As serial and
> > parallel ports go away in modern computers, I wonder how this
> > functionality will be maintained. Expensive I/O cards will now be
> > required.
>
> rs232 <--> usb converters, that's the cheap way...

Except that usb converters do not transfer all the modem control lines
quickly. At least the ones I have tried.The pps signal is on a modem
control line. The modem control lines are very quick - not related to
the baud rate.

> > The question is still, why does a reboot cause a messed up time.
>
> That part is the adjtime file. The rest, I don't know. However, if you
> touch the clock in anyway, this file is affected: it will be incorrect, so
> it's better to force a reset deleting it.
>

> About the ntpd, if you are developing, I would think about your software
> feeding data to ntpd, instead of the other way round.
>
> Or duplicate the data via a "splitter". Maybe there is a simple way.

Another reason we want to avoid having ntpd running when we do our thing
is that we do not want the time to change. And ntpd will always do tiny
adjustments.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST