On 3/16/07, David Brodbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Greg Freemyer wrote:
> All,
>
> I want to use EncFS.  It is part of the distro and seems to be working
> on a newly created directory pair.
>
> My issue is I don't know how to re-mount the virtual filesystem.  In
> theory I use fusermount, but what is the syntax?

I think you're thinking about it too hard. ;)  You mount it using
'encfs'.  You only use fusermount to unmount the filesystem.

The syntax is simple.  If the encrypted data is stored in ~/.crypt, and
you want to mount the unencrypted version on ~/cryptmount, you'd do this:

encfs ~/.crypt ~/cryptmount

That works, but it still seems wrong to me.  The mount command is
encfs and the unmount command is fusermount.  You have to admit that
is strange.

Thanks.

One other question I have is if I backup the raw (~/.crypt in your
example) directory and restore it to another machine should I have any
trouble remounting it and getting to my data?

I'm going to try that in the next week or so, but if you know it would
save me some testing.

FYI: My ultimate goal is to rsync out a bunch of data to dreamhost as
a DR offsite backup.  By using EncFS my thought is that everything at
dreamhost will be encrypted.

FYI2: I'm not too concerned with performance because I'm only going to
be writing backup files into the EncFS in the middle of the night.  It
can take a few hours and I won't notice.  I'm going to do about 10GB
worth tonight.  If that works I'll try my big dataset of 65GB.
Assuming that works I'm golden.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer