Hello,

On Mar 26 15:11 Johnny Ernst Nielsen wrote (shortened):
> > > My printer's ink level program is unable to display ink level as
> > > well as print when either one of the four cartridges are empty.
> > > The cartridges are opaque and the printer itself only lights up
> > > one single light to signal that one of the cartridges are empty.
> ... Epson Stylus C66.

I do not understand what exactly you mean.
Ususally it cannot work when one process (your ink level program)
communicates with the printer to query its ink levels while another
process (the CUPS backend) sends print-data at the same time.
You need to implement mutual exclusion.

By the way:
Do you know about /usr/bin/escputil (see "man escputil")?
Perhaps it works for your specific model.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex