Mandag 26 marts 2007 16:29 kvad Johannes Meixner:

> > ... Epson Stylus C66.
>
> I do not understand what exactly you mean.

Sorry. I see I did not manage to explain clearly.

If one of the four cartridges is empty, a red light is on on the
printer, showing "out of ink" mode. The printer will not print
anything untill the empty cartridge is replaced. Not even if it is
one of the colour cartridges that is empty, and I try to print pure
black with the black cartridge.

So, I can see that one of the cartridges is empty, but the printer
itself does not show which one.
Since the cartridges are opaque, I can not look directly at the
cartridges to find out.

Currently I use the TurboPrint proprietary driver (for full resolution
printing).
It has an ink level check command.
However, that command does not work when the printer is in "out of
ink" mode.

> Ususally it cannot work when one process (your ink level program)
> communicates with the printer to query its ink levels while another
> process (the CUPS backend) sends print-data at the same time.
> You need to implement mutual exclusion.

I know. And I have done my best to do so.
My script asks the printer status from the printing system, to see
that the printer is idle, before it attempts to check the ink level.

> By the way:
> Do you know about /usr/bin/escputil (see "man escputil")?

I had no idea about it's existence.

> Perhaps it works for your specific model.

It does! Thank you very much Johannes! :o)

Now I just need to wait for a cartridge to run empty, to see if it can
report the ink level with an empty cartridge.

Thank you again. :o)

Best regards :o)

Johnny :o)