Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> David Brodbeck wrote:
>
>> I don't know why, but Wine has always fought me at every turn.  I've
>> never successfully gotten it to run anything more complicated than Solitare.
>>

> Well, as usual, it depends.
>
> For example I used it to run ie6/word/excel/powerpoint/outlook 2000 and
> the MS Office viewers successfully, but I see (nearly) no point in doing
> this, since Linux offers so much natively.
>
> Imho a worthwhile exception might be the office viewers from MS.
>
> Although they are really rarely used on my machines, they always offer
> you the "Officially Microsoft approved way of looking at an Office
> document". Rarely used but sometimes _REALLY_ useful.

I decided, after reading this thread, to give it another shot.  I
installed wine and winetools off Packman and tried to go through the
winetools setup procedure.  A lot of the setup options in winetools
crashed with debugger messages.  I almost got Internet Explorer 6 to run
on my laptop this way -- it installed, but running it just gave me a
blank window.  I tried it on my desktop and couldn't even get a 'fake
Windows drive' created that winetools thought was valid.