On Monday 26 March 2007, Larry Stotler wrote:
> Hello.  I've been using SuSE since v5.3.  I run it on pretty much
> everything including my PowerBook Walstreet, etc.
>
> I've got an old Abit BP6 Dual Celeron motherboard.  I know that at one
> point in time I had SuSE running on it(v9.1 I think) with 2 Celeron
> 400Mhz processors.  Recently, I dug it out and decided to try
> overclocking some 366 chips.  I've had some success, but I can't get
> any version of SuSE from v9.2 to current to install on it.  v10.2
> locks up the machine at the hardware detection, v10.0 locks up at the
> setup menus, and the others don't want to go either.  What's weird is
> that I have installed both Vector Linux v5.8, which uses kernel
> v2.6.18.5, and Kubuntu v6.06, which uses kernel v2.6.17.  Both of
> those correctly identified the system as smp and both ran it fine
> stock speed and overclocked to 506Mhz.  Does anyone have any idea why
> I can't get SuSE to install?  I had the rescue from v9.3 running once,
> but not the install.  Any help will be greatly appriciated.  Thanx

I'm running 10.1 on my bp6.  Works fine.  Was planning to upgrade to
10.2 one of these days.
The only thing I found necessary was to add the following to
the grub menu.lst
    acpi=force

10.1 runs this machine better than any prior version of Suse.  I used to get
the weird processor errors that bp6 boards are famous for, but not any more.
Even when I did get these errors it works fine.
See also:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2000/08/26/0005.html

--
John Andersen