Hans du Plooy wrote:
On Thu, March 29, 2007 15:43, BRUCE STANLEY wrote:
From the 'Dell' article:

For cases such as WinModems, for which there are neither open source nor
proprietary drivers
available, Dell will be encouraging users to substitute a hardware-based
modem. "However, we can't
substitute hardware-based modems in our notebooks without redesigning and
significantly increasing
the price of the system.

What nonsense.  Exactly how much does it cost to manufacture a hardware
modem these days?  And why can the hardware bits not be on a
daughterboard, like the wireless, bluetooth and other bits are?

Hans

My ThinkPad R31 had a modem on a daughter board, shared with WiFi. It was a software modem that was supported in later versions of SUSE and worked well. Unfortunately, I lost that modem, when I upgraded the WiFi. However, there are single chip hardware modems available, but I don't know how the cost compares.