--- James Knott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> I have a US Robotics Megahertz 28.8 kbps XJACK PC Card modem that I
> >> upgraded (via a firmware update) to 33.6 kbps.  Linux sees it as a
> >> serial port.  It's worked fine in every machine I've used it in.  These
> >> can be picked up very cheaply on eBay, and computer surplus stores often
> >> have buckets full of them they're dying to unload.
> >>

> > Yep,  I got a Dell PCMCIA modem at a junk sale for $12.  Has worked
> > perfectly for years whenever I have [rarely] actually needed to use an
> > analog line.
> >
> > Don't forget the most often overlooked solution - your cell phone.  Most
> > cell pones can attach via a USB port, emulate a serial port, and support
> > the Hayes command set.  Every cell phone I've had I've been able to make
> > a terminal call with (using nothing but the USB cable and minicom).
> >

> While my cell phone includes such a "modem", it uses GPRS, which is an
> extra cost service.
> --

Follou up:

        I found a version of Linux that will work with my Thinkpad T41 and
my ZONET PCMCIA 56k modem.  It is the Live CD version of Simply MEPIS 3.4.3.

I uses a version of the smartlinke modem software.

Now I must decide if I want to install it on the hard drive as a
permintate multi-boot opition.  It is an older version of Mepis
and I would like to use a more current version of Linux.