The Saturday 2007-03-31 at 06:42 +0100, John D Lamb wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 03:43 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > I'm sure that time ago I used a font named "Times" in OpenOffice, that was
> > rendered as Times-Roman in PDF documents (Acrobat reader), type 1 (perhaps
> > (Adobe Serif MM), using an internal fontset.
> >
> > It is not "Times New Roman", of that I'm sure, that's a windows font and
> > it is embedded in pdfs, not what I want.
> >

> > Somebody knows what package contains that font for SuSE 10.2?
>
> I suspect the font was URW Nimbus Roman Number 9 L Regular, which is the
> URW font includeded in ghostscript that emulates Times.

That's the substitution font OOo uses in 10.2, yes. But not the one I
want, read on.

> Times is included in Macs and is different from the Times New Roman that
> comes with Windows, but I don't think it's ever been bundled as standard
> with SuSE.
>
> If you have a document with the font set to Times, OO will render it
> with URW Nimbus Roman Number 9 L Regular. In any case, Nimbus Roman is
> sufficiently close to Times that it's hard to tell the difference.

Yes, in suse 10.2, but not in 10.1. I tried yesterday creating a document
in OOo with a document using "Times", that does not exist in the system.
in 10.1 this converts to a very small pdf file, about 2 KB, using the
internal font "Times-Roman":

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/Documents/OO/test times font> pdffonts en\ 10.1/Prueba.pdf
name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
- ------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
Times-Roman                          Type 1       no  no  no       5  0
  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  ^^

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/Documents/OO/test times font> pdfinfo en\ 10.1/Prueba.pdf
Creator:        Writer
Producer:       OpenOffice.org 2.0
CreationDate:   Fri 30 Mar 2007 10:00:36 PM CEST
Tagged:         no
Pages:          1
Encrypted:      no
Page size:      612 x 792 pts (letter)
File size:      2805 bytes   <===========
Optimized:      no
PDF version:    1.4

However, the same document converted to pdf in suse 10.2 is very
different:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/Documents/OO/test times font> pdffonts en\ 10.2/Prueba.pdf
name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
- ------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
NimbusRomNo9L-Regu                   Type 1       yes no  yes      9  0
NimbusRomNo9L-Regu                   Type 1       yes no  yes     12  0
  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  ^^

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/Documents/OO/test times font> pdfinfo en\ 10.2/Prueba.pdf
Creator:        Writer
Producer:       OpenOffice.org 2.1
CreationDate:   Sat 31 Mar 2007 11:02:14 AM CEST
Tagged:         no
Pages:          1
Encrypted:      no
Page size:      612 x 792 pts (letter)
File size:      117753 bytes   <===========
Optimized:      no
PDF version:    1.4

It is the same file. However, "Times" is converted to "Times-Roman" in the
pdf in 10.1, and to "NimbusRomNo9L-Regu" in 10.2 - but as this font is not
the exact one that the readers knows about, the definition of the font is
inserted or embedded into the pdf file, increasing the filesize to over a
hundred kilobytes.

Furthermore: a document in 10.2 using "Times" prints with a wider line
spacing than in 10.1, making some single page documents to overflow to the
printed pages very carefully.

You understand my problem?

- --
Cheers,