Carlos E. R. wrote:

> The Tuesday 2007-04-03 at 04:50 -0500, dwain wrote:
>
> > I'll have to try mplayer then.
>
> You can also try xine - with the added benefit that kafeine and amarok
> (and more) use the xine-lib engine.

Well, i tried Mplayer and I couldn't get it to work. As with Jan, who
had a bad experience with VLC and won't use it, I had a not so good
experience with Mplayer and uninstalled it. I figured out why I was
getting a hiss through my headphones and corrected the problem. When I
played the DVD again in VLC it ran perfectly, well as perfectly as my
ATI Rage 128 would let it be; but the hiss was gone and the audio
sounded great. A video card with more memory would allow the video to be
stable all the way through, but 32MB of on board RAM isn't enough to
handle full motion video without the occasional video freeze.

It seems to me that VLC chooses the proper codec for the media it plays,
unlike Mplayer where you must choose the codec you want, and if it's not
the correct one, well... I actually use VLC as a radio receiver. I have
too many choices of radio stations from Shoutcast, but that's ok. VLC
has been a tried and proven program on Windows and running the current
version on opensuse Linux has proven not to be a disappointment as it
has to other two users who have commented on what I thought was a great
find.

But I'm not interested in a multimedia program flame war. We all have
our preferences and use what works for us. Some like Koffice and others
like Open Office. Some like xine, others Mplayer and I have found that
VLC meets my needs. I guess that's what it's all about. Windows or Linux
(whatever flavor floats your boat).

I appreciate the recommendation of xine though.

Cheers,
Dwain
--
Dwain Alford
P.O. Box 145

telephone: 205.487.2570
cellphone: 205.495.5619

"The artist may use any form which his expression demands;
for his inner impulse must find suitable expression."

Wassily Kandinsky, "Concerning The Spiritual In Art"