Hi John,

Thanks for your reply.

Basically there is no real structure under /var/spool/asterisk/monitor -
it's one directory. While 60 or so agents are on calls there will be 60 .wav
file being written simultaneously to the RAM disk.
The filesystem was ext3 but of course we are now using tmpfs.

The recorded .wav files are moved out of RAM disk to the physical disk every
minute - when this happens, the process only takes a second or two to write
the files from RAM to the physical disk. Normally there is only about 80 or
so MBs at a time.

> Have you looked into a raw file system for disk writes?
>(There was a time when raw file systems were common,
>but disk performance has moved beyond that now for the most part.)
I haven't look at this but perhaps it's an option ?
Most people out there that run Asterisk call centers of this capacity and
use call recording seem to have great success with using a RAM disk.

The problem I'm picking up right now is that Asterisk's active call audio
quality degrades when we write to the hard disk directly and not to RAM disk
first.

>From what I can see on the web a RAM disk is the best way to go for this -
do you know if there's a way of picking up what caused the deadlock ?
I've looked through /var/log/messages but there's no mention of anything
with regards to the lockup.

Thanks for your help so far.

Kind regards

David Wilson