>From what I've seen the space used in the tmpfs disk never exceeds 300Mb -
though perhaps at some time something is going wrong and the tmpfs is
filling up ? I will set a size limit tomorrow and will provide feedback.

Thanks so much for your input so far !

Kind regards

David Wilson
D c D a t a
CNS, CLS, Linux+, LPIC1, LPIC2
Email/MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone: 0860-1-LINUX
Fax: 0866878971
Mobile: 0824147413
Skype: dave-wilson

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Colvin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 11 April 2007 08:52 AM
To: suse-linux-e@suse.com
Subject: Re: [opensuse] OpenSuse 10.2 x86_64 RAM disk & server lock ups

On Tuesday 03 April 2007 09:05:24 David Wilson wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> How are you keeping ?
>
> I have three Opensuse 10.2 x86_64 installations running on separate
> HP-ML370G4/5 servers (Dual Xeon).
>
> Both systems have 4gigs of RAM each.
>
> On these systems I'm running Asterisk which provides telephony for a 100
> seat call center.
>
> The conversations that are recorded by Asterisk are recorded to
> /var/spool/asterisk/monitor which is a tmpfs/shm file system and
configured
> as follows in my /etc/fstab:
>
> shm          /var/spool/asterisk/monitor        tmpfs   defaults        0
0

> On a daily basis each of these servers will 'dead lock' i.e. completely
> freeze. When this happens the servers do not respond to the keyboard or
> even 'ping'.
>
> I've also experienced the same problem on a totally different non HP
custom
> built server running the same OS (OpenSuse 10.2).
>
> If I disable the RAM disk and record the conversation straight to hard
disk
> then everything is fine - the servers do not lock up. Unfortunately I have
> to use the RAM disk due to performance issues with writing the recordings
> straight to disk.
>
> I have a script that runs every minute that moves the completed recordings
> from RAM disk to hard disk, so it's not getting too full.
>
> Any ideas where my problem could lie or how I can enable some type of RAM
> disk debugging to find out where things are going wrong ?

You say that they deadlock on a daily basis.  Have you correlated it to the
number of calls taken by that server each day or is it always at the same
time?

I have experienced freezes when a rogue process consumes my memory so that I

end up with no physical or swap free.  You are using an unrestricted tmpfs,
could the memory consumption be slowly growing.  Can I suggest you set a
maximum size of your tmpfs for one machine and see if that helps.

Andrew

http://www.dcdata.co.za/emaildisclaimer.html

http://www.dcdata.co.za/emaildisclaimer.html