On Tuesday 03 April 2007 18:50, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Doug McGarrett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [04-03-07 18:22]:
> > On Monday 02 April 2007 21:46, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > > * Doug McGarrett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [04-02-07 20:32]:
> > >  [...]
>
>  [...]
>
> > I have read man lppasswd but I don't know what to do next.  It would
> > appear from the error message that the username is doug, but it says
> > on localhost, and the man lppasswd refers to cups, not localhost, or
> > am I still missing something?
>
> yes, you are missing something.  From 'man lppasswd':
>
> DESCRIPTION
>        lppasswd adds, changes, or deletes passwords in the CUPS digest
>        password file, passwd.md5. When run by a normal user, lppasswd
>        will prompt for the old and new passwords.  When run by the
>        super-user, lppasswd can add new accounts (-a username), change
>        existing accounts (username), or delete accounts (-x username)
>        in the digest password file. Digest usernames do not have to
>        match local UNIX user‐ names.
>
>  [....] also
>
> SEE ALSO
>        lp(1), lpr(1),
>        http://localhost:631/help
>
> > If I go to KJobViewer, I can delete everything queued but KDE Print
> > System and KDE Print Test, which are owned by root.  If I could find
> > those files in a directory (where is it and what's it called?) I might
> > be able to su and delete them also, and then maybe the system might
> > work, I don't know.
>
> did you try KJobViewer as root ??  Root would own root's jobs.

As root, cd /KJobViewer     no such file or directory

> > > or search the opensuse list archives.  It has been mentioned/described
> > > *many* times.
>
> not tried, not interested ????

There are only three communications, and they did not seem helpful.
Used Google:  opensuse list archive lppasswd

I am kind of desperate here.  The XP machine may be down for the count, and
the only thing sort of working is this Linux machine which I cannot print
from, for no obvious reason--it was working fine, even tho only with the
color printer, and all of a sudden, blooie!

Is there anyone that anyone knows on eastern Long Island, NY that might be
able to make this thing work?  I suppose that I could wipe and reinstall, but
I have about 4 MB of data--from this list--that I would like to keep, and no
CD or DVD writer on the machine, and I'm a bit worried about trying to add
one while everthing else is in flux.

--doug