I have seen the same thing, started up the a spanking new HP machine
with about 4GB of DDR2 ram, 2 core 2 chips and it was slooooowwwwwwww I
went out for a breather (cigarette) and cam back in again about 15
minuts later, but the machine was still busy starting, up nothing rong
with the machine just vista that is slow, from looking at all the
emergency patches coming out for Vista I am not surprised at all.

Regards
Per Qvindesland