On Sunday 08 April 2007 06:11, Abstract wrote:
> On 4/6/07, Rajko M. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > What is the purpose?
> > KDE is created to promote usability of Linux; a better OS solution.
> > Porting applications will be the nail in own coffin.
>
> I disagree that porting applications will be the nail in its own coffin.
>
> Take Gimp and Gaim for instance.  1st, many people use these on Linux
> and Windows, therefore it is EASIER for them to move to linux in the
> future because the they trust the apps and know their quality.  It
> also almost immediately makes them want to go with Gnome and not KDE.
>
> Whats Kopete?  Its like GAIM, but they know GAIM so they use it.
>
> Also, if people know these same open source apps they trust and use on
> Windows are available on Linux with a bunch of other apps as well it
> may well be the nail in the coffin for Windows and not Linux Desktops.
>  KDE needs  this more than GNOME.

You was right about KDE4. The trick is that Qt, like GTk, has port to other
platforms. That means, there is a lot lesser work to port applications.

I can agree that few applications can be good advertising, but I disagree to
enrich platforms that are designed to exclude others. My guess is that will
be some kind of effort to improve Trolltech business as gratitude for free
use of Qt libraries for a years.

--
Regards, Rajko.
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal