On 4/12/07, John Summerfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I've had enough of this list, I really do not like off-list replies to my
attempts to help people.

They are bad because
1. It breaks filtering (the list-id header is present in mail from the list
and it's sensible to use it to filter email).
2. Other people can't see my errors and correct them. I'm not perfect.
3. Other people can't see corrections to my errors and learn from them.
4. Off-list replies don't get archived.
5. It breaks threading. I like email one topic to be grouped into one thread.
Since most email clients support this feature, I suspect others value it too.

Quite.

I frequently accidentally email people off-list due to the reply-to
being not set to the list. Which I expect may be responsible for most
of the off-list emailing. Default reply for many email clients is to
reply off-list.

I equate off-list with spam, and unless I specifically give you permission to
email me, you don't have the right.

This is rediculous.

_

Benjamin Weber