Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 11:28 +0100, G.T.Smith wrote:
>

>> I sympathise, but this may not be entirely the person sending the replys
>> fault, hitting reply on my copy of Thunderbird will send directly to the
>> original sender not to the list itself. (I dunno if this case with other
>> mail clients). A ReplyTo field should ideally be set to the list
>> address, but this does get not set. (Coming to think about it I seem to
>> remember TBird having a reply to mail-list option at one time). I find
>> myself having to reply to all and edit the recipient out. Got caught out
>> a couple of times early on with this 'feature'.
>>

> evolution does the same, so I do the same editing. The list posts
> contain:

> But not all mailers know what to do with this. Do any mail readers use
> these for reply purposes? If not, they are only using the From: field,
> which makes sense. The Cc to the list must be from the To: field in the
> message. I guess the list management software would have to put an
> envelope around the message to change this behavior.

According to RFC 822 (4.4.3/4.4.4)  the ReplyTo field is supposed to
override the From field for the purposes of replying to a message.
(Useful if you are sending from account a but want any replies directed
to account b). I think the above Headers are non-standard so I would not
expect all mail clients to support them (in fact my copy of TBird does
not even report them).... but I am not certain... there is a RFC
containing a description of non-standard headers not included in the
standard header RFCs, cant remember number at moment...
begin:vcard
fn:Graham T. Smith
n:Smith;Graham T.
adr:Barton upon Humber;;90 Bowmandale;;North Lincs.;DN18 5EA;UK
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel;cell:07876793607
version:2.1
end:vcard