On Thursday 12 April 2007 16:20, M Harris wrote:
> > "Hype"? that's called FUD (i know you just love it) you ignorant Git.
>
>         Please... remember that the community is not the enemy...
        I found it... Git...   (thanks wiki)

        Git is a relatively mild British slang term, used to denote a silly,
stupid,
annoying, childish or senile elderly person. It is usually used as an insult,
more severe than twit but less severe than prat[citation needed] or wanker,
and may often be used affectionately between friends. In some southern U.S.
states, it is a shortened form of midget, used to denote a short person.

The word git first appeared in print in 1946, but undoubtedly predates it. The
etymology of the word is a contraction of "illegitamate", or possibly a
corruption of the word 'get', dating back to the 14th century. A shortening
of 'beget', 'get' insinuates that the recipient is someones misbegotten
offspring and therefore a bastard i.e. illegitimate. In parts of Northern
England and Scotland 'get' is still used in preference to 'git'.

        Well, now, ... I guess I've been called worse.  Here in the States
someone
might have tried the term "geezer".  I guess that's one less thing I'm
ignorant about now... what a relief it is.

PNG image