Bruce Smith wrote:
> I'm having problems with zmd hanging on three different SuSE 10.2
> boxes.  All the boxes use the same mirrors for their source, and all
> were upgrades from 10.1, if that matters.
>
> I notice that I'm not being notified of new updates in gnome, and
> 'rczmd stop' fails.  A regular 'kill' on zmd doesn't work, and I have
> to 'kill -9' or reboot to stop zmd.  When I start zmd again, it just
> hangs and cannot be stopped without another 'kill -9'.
>
> I found that a "rm -fr /var/lib/zmd /var/lib/zypp" will allow zmd to
> start and run again ... for awhile.  I re-add my sources and update,
> but usually the problem reoccurs again in a few hours or days.
>
> Are there other files I can remove, or a better way to clean up zmd to
> fix this problem permanently?  Thanks!
>
> - BS
My server has this problem for the last two weeks and I have not been able
to figure out how to get it running again.   My laptop and other machines
are still working fine with getting updates via the ORB turning orange.

I want to see this mechanism working well and believe that 10.3 we will
see big differences in the stability and speed of the updater.

For now, what would be nice is some kind of cook book that explains
what to look for when it isn't working (flow chart) so that updates are
possible again.   I may try to get mine working again today if time permits.