On Friday 13 April 2007, Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> Forums are more user-friendly, which is the point of community
> communication system. We need easier ways for community to communicate
> between ourselves.

Forums are NOT user friendly.

No way would a user friendly system:
  1) make me click and wait for a remote server every message/thread
  2) make me scroll through the entire thread just to get to the last page
  3) make it impossible to automatically filter/flag certain topics,
  4) make it impossible to filter/flag certain posters
  5) make it impossible to Create local archives of key posts
  6) allow every user to push huge avatars in my face
  7) make me sign in
  8) restrict me to being ON Line when I read
  9) make me download thousands of bytes just to find a one-line reply
10) Click and wait and wait and wait every time I want to reply

The point of a "community communication system" (what ever the hell that is)
is to make communication efficient and fast, and widely available.  Forums
fail on all counts.  When was the last time you successfully read a form in
a text based mail reader.

Mailing lists are as easy as it gets.  The archives are searchable,
google-able, and light weight.  You pop your mail to your laptop and
read and answer it while on the plane, subway or what ever.

If you want a Forum, subscribe with Gmail.  All the slowness you crave
with a browser based user interface that you can't seem to live without.

Statements like "Forums are more user-friendly" with out offering
a single shred of evidence in support just don't cut it.