On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 21:22 -0500, dwain wrote:
> On Friday 13 April 2007, Kenneth Schneider wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 19:29 -0500, dwain wrote:
> > > OK. I have the Samba client and windbind installed.  I can see the two
> > > win boxes in SMB shares.  I can use the printers.  Would someone please
> > > explain how I get the two win boxes to see my linux box?
> > >
> > > Dwain
> >
> > Did you create any shares for the MS boxes to see?
> >
> > --
> > Ken Schneider
> > UNIX  since 1989, linux since 1994, SuSE  since 1998
>
> What does this mean?  Create a folder on the linux box for the 2 windows
> boxes?  How do I go about doing this?

It means the same thing it means in windows, you need to create a shared
resource in order for the windows machines to access the linux box. Take
a look at the /etc/samba/smb.conf file. A good way to do this is with
the less command: less /etc/samba/smb.conf (to exit less just hit the q
key.

There should already be some shares defined that look like this:

[users]
        comment = All users
        path = /home
        read only = No
        inherit acls = Yes
        veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/

One I have created looks like this:

[download]
        comment = Download Area
        inherit acls = Yes
        path = /storage/download/
        read only = No

Also look through    man smb.conf   for a little more info. You are on a
steep learning curve and appear to be doing a good job learning but it
will take more than a couple of weeks to get it all. I have been at this
for almost 20 years and and have barely scratched the surface so just
learn the best way you can. Stick with it and be patient.