On Sun, 2007-04-15 at 11:09 -0500, dwain wrote:
> I am taking the plunge in the deep end here.  I want to set up a server and
> begin learning how to use a cms.  There is a project I want to do and I know
> I'm way behind the 8 ball with what I am looking at.  I know nothing about
> php, mysql or js, but I am willing to learn.  I have begun to collect books
> on the subjects, but I'd like to get things set up on my machine first.

If you are starting completely from scratch I'd, instead of LAMP, look
at something like Mojoportal (a .NET CMS, runs on Mono/Apache/SuSE).
Since you are acquiring a completely new skill set might as well pick
one as maximally portable/marketable as possible.

Now cue the horde's of LAMP minions to tell you this is heresy... :)

> What all do I need to install to begin this journey besides the basic php5
> and
> mysql?

Very little.

--