On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 17:41 +0800, Otto Rodusek (AP-SGP) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Opensuse LIVE CD/DVD is excellent at auto-detecting most types of
> hardware and can be run on a variety of configurations.
>
> However, if I install opensuse (10.2) to hard disk - the startup seems
> to be specific to that configuration. For example, if I were to do a
> full install to hdd and made sure that all works fine, then if I were to
> replace the motherboard, the hdd would no longer boot - usually due to a
> difference in chipsets. Is there a way to install opensuse (10.2) to hdd
> so that it does a hardware detect at startup just like in the LIVE DVD
> version??

Please _do not_ hijack a thread. You end breaking up the continuity of
the message thread. You did this by simply/lazily  hitting reply to an
email, changing the subject line and body content and sending the
message as though it is new. If you don't feel like typing the list
email address in to a new message try adding the list address to your
address book.

In answer to your question, no. When you boot from cdrom/DVD you are
booting from a disk that never changes content and doesn't depend on a
particular drive to work. The only reason for the HD to stop working is
if you changed to a different type of controller that uses different
drivers.

--
Ken Schneider
UNIX  since 1989, linux since 1994, SuSE  since 1998