On Monday April 30 2007 8:41:34 am Siegfried Wolkenstein wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I haven't mixed SUSE kde with stock kde...
>
> killing won't work... kill -9 <proc number> doesn't work... in fact it is
> impossible to kill any of the X processes...
> Yesterday I updated every rpm-package I have installed... Just now It
> happend once again. This time it was kopete, which caused the trouble (at
> least I think so): I was sending a message over the icqprotocol and
> suddenly the the window turned pale and freezed. Then the keyboard got
> stuck and I did a ctrl-alt-backspace, since all the other keys got barred.
> The ctrl-alt-backspace let the X disappear (but the process was still
> running) but after that it didn't restart. Then the usual: changing
> runlevels, kill -9 and some other useless stuff. Eventually a reset did the
> "trick".. grrrr!

This sounds like a video driver issue. Where the system totally locks up while
doing anything and only a reboot will bring it back. I suggest you
re-evaluate your video card driver, monitor settings and sax2 settings in
general.

For example, if you are using ATI's fglrx driver, go back to the radeon driver
and see if the system is stable.
--
Stan