On Monday April 30 2007 18:46, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> On Sunday 08 April 2007 09:31, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > The Saturday 2007-04-07 at 22:14 -0400, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> > > I need to thoroughly cleanse the system of all printers, of any
> > > type or serial number and then start over.  How do I do that?
> >
> > In cups, remove or delete printer. If kde doesn't notice, log out, log
> > in.
> >
> > --
> > Cheers,
> >        Carlos E. R.
>
> I don't mean to piggyback on this thread, but it seems easiest, and is
> not really OT.
>
> Having had problems with printers in 9.3, which I intend to stay with
> until probably at least 6 months from now, I would like a recommendation
> for a low-cost laser that will absolutely work with this OS out of the box.
>  I can use USB or parallel, whichever is more reliable.  I am getting more
> and more frustrated with M/S and XP/SP2, and since I lost almost everything
> in a disk crash, now is the time to look more seriously at Linux, but I
> _must_ have working printing!!!
>
> (If I could install and get hplip to work, I might be able to use my big HP
> Laser, that used to work with 10.0, but I've had no luck doing that.  Any
> help would be appreciated.  Do I have to download a different copy that
> isn't on the floppies from someplace, and if so, where?  And how?
>
> --doug
If your looking for a low cost color laser I use a Xerox Phaser 6120, four
color. Was $299.US from either Xerox Direct or CDW. Xerox supplies a PPD that
you put in CUPS (Directions are included and easy.) I'm on SUSE 10.2 and have
had no printer problems except from ISCAN which doesn't scale correctly. All
other applications I use work directly out of the box. LPR also works with
it.

HP also makes a 4 co;or laser in this price range but ink cartridges are more
expensive than the Xerox ones. I've had mine since Nov. 2006.
--
Russ
Linux register user 441463