James Knott wrote:
Aaron Kulkis wrote:
I'm a computer systems engineer, I've been programming since 1980,
I've used and programmed on more operating systems than I can
remember... what in the hell is a "micro pause" because I have
never seen that term used before...ever...for anything.

I also have no idea what a "micro pause" is.  The only thing that comes
to mind, was that on some mini-computers, such as the Data General
Eclipse, you could microstep through the microcode.  There was a pause
in there, but I don't think that's what he had in mind.

Wow... DG... Haven't heard mention of them in a LONG time.

I went to Purdue...we had some VAX-11/780's that were "homemade"
dual-VAX machines (George Goble's pioneering work on dual CPU
UNIX)...and then some Goulds (Powernode 9080's, and then NP-1's),
and in electrical engineering, ONE Data General... but it was
running System V wherease everything else was running 4.2/4.3 BSD
and since it wasn't networked, either, nobody used it.

But I hear they were nice machines to program on.