On Thursday 03 May 2007 21:30, M Harris wrote:
> On Thursday 03 May 2007 23:25, M Harris wrote:
> >         I have not used cp for this... but you might try  tar.
> >
> >         The  -u  switch of tar will only append files to an
> > existing tarball that are newer than the copy in the existing
> > archive.
>
>       Actually... see man cp...   the cp command also has an  -u  switch
> for update which will do what you want...

True, and I use it often.

You should know that only the modification time (or the absence of a
source file in the destination directory) is used to determine whether
or not to copy a file.

A more refined selective copy can be accomplished using the rsync
command (which operates fine locally despite the 'r' for "remote" in
its name). Rsync is not the easiest program to master, but it's very
powerful.

> M Harris     <><

Randall Schulz