On Saturday 05 May 2007 21:54, Pueblo Native wrote:
  Also,
> the inexpensive nature of Linux compared to Windows only compares Linux
> to "legitimate' versions of Windows, not to the pirated software that is
> just as free (if technically illegal).

          You miss the point. It's not cheap because you don't need to buy
windows.
It's cheap because you don't need to upgrade the computer you already have.

         Unless you build a white box nobody needs to pirate windows. Try
buying a
prebuilt computer and not getting a new copy of windows installed with it.
The vast majority of computers come from HP,Dell,Levono etc. They almost all
come with windows. I bet many of us own multiple windows licenses.

        I'm thinking of using an old computer to hold all my music files.
Headless
connected to the network. How much hardware will this take? How much would it
take under windows? Even assuming I already owned all the windows software?

        Nick