On May 07, 07 10:27:18 -0600, Darryl Gregorash wrote:
> > No the shim links to gpled kernel at build time.
> And when I compile anything that opens a file, it has to link to the
> GPLed system library at build time too. That does not preclude me from

LGPL. That's *the* main difference from GPL. You're allowed to link
proprietary software against LGPL, but not against GPL.

E.g. Trolltech's Qt is GPL, thus you are only allowed to link GPL
compatible software against libqt.

Also, libc is a system library, and for that there are additional
relaxations. But we're talking about the kernel here, and that's a
monolithic block of code.

> Do you mean that kernel source winds up compiled into the driver(s)
> after compilation/linkage is complete? If that is the case, then you are

No, the kernel source code winds up compiled into the kernel!
The user space drivers for Xorg are no problem, as Xorg is BSD-style
license.

> So what? You have yet to demonstrate that the nVidia drivers are a
> derivative work of the kernel.

Some kernel developers say it's trivial to demonstrate that.
Few say it's not.
Some don't care.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>      __        __   __
Maxfeldstr. 5 / 90409 Nuernberg   (_   | |  (_   |__          [EMAIL PROTECTED]