Well, it's quite surprising, but Linux is by order of magnitude more sensitive to hardware stability. Memory errors, overclocking and such may cause Linux to produce weird errors while Windows run smoothly. I don't recognize this as a Linux weakness though, it just requires stable hardware. Stable OS run on stable HW, it's that simple :-)

I know it's not helpfull, but I have no difficulties running 64bit OpenSuse 10.2 on machines with lots of RAM. I've got several Core 2 Duo Xeons with 32GB RAM with nVidia Quadro FX4500 graphic cards and I haven't experienced any slowdown either during install nor everyday work. They are by far the fastest machines I ever used (comparing e.g. with 3.4GHz P4 with 4GB RAM). I've got 16 core Opteron with 64GB of RAM and I've got no problems as well. There's no reason for 64bit OS to do anything different with 4GB instead of 2,8 or 128GB.

The slowdown is most probably caused by your hardware/BIOS setup vs. kernel clash. I don't recall exactly WHEN the "Loading drivers" takes place but I can safely guess that the there is some looooong timeout somewhere within hardware detection section. One example - I experienced such pauses on several Intel workstations - it could take 3+ minutes to detect SATA disks (well, it timed out on unoccupied SATA ports).

Different kernel, updated BIOS or even simple BIOS settings change might help (or might not as well...). I would suggest to start with updating the kernel (if possible) as well as BIOS (definitely, makes miracles sometimes).

Cheers, Tosuja