On Friday 11 May 2007 23:00, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> No, there are problems with reiserfs.  I also lost data when a
> reiserfs system crashed and was unrecoverable.
        I have several questions for you:

        1) Were you aware of the rebuild-index option, and did you try it?
        2) Do you honestly believe that reiserfs caused the problem, or might
you be
honest enough to admit that "something else" may have "caused" the problem
which left reiserfs with a broken index... which you did not know how to
recover?
        3) What were the circumstances which led you to "know" that reiserfs
was the
culprit?
        4) If there are problems with reiserfs, why and how are so many systems
able to run for years without any difficulty? --- how is this possible?

        If the file system has problems then every system would display
symptoms of those problems... under conditions that are (software remember)
repeatable... reproduceable... and most importantly, fixable.  Where are the
bug reports... ?  How come those "bugs" are not affecting my systems?

        Computer science is not voodoo and superstition folks... nor is it
about how
anyone religiously feels about their favorite file system (like  vi vs emacs
discussions).  Think about this... if you believe that reiserfs has
problems... and everyone knows that the technical reasons for using it in the
first place are for the provided advantages... why don't you (suse) fix
the problems??      So, Hans is in the slammer... its open source--- fix it!
(if its broke, that is).

        Last point... you lost data not because reiserfs was broke, or because
raid
stripe didn't work, or because of the phase of the moon or the length of a
witches skirt... you lost data because YOU didn't have it backed up.

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><