On Saturday 12 May 2007 07:08, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> You make valid points and ask good questions, then you go bonkers as
> if your meds gave way.  I suppose you also debate with an ak47.
        heh... no... <sorry>   No, we is the USA use the M16 to settle our
debates...
its a little bulkier, maybe not as good in water... but still all in all a
nice peace... I mean piece.
        <sigh>
        The main response point I failed to make directly, for which I am
sorry, is
that reiserfs is stable... very stable.  When it fails--- its not reiserfs
that fails... its the hardware... always. (almost always)  That's why I put
the FAQ up there, and that is why I pointed everyone to the buglist, and that
is why I pointed y'all to the namesys benchmarks and buglist...   because
reiserfs failures (at this point) are  99.9999% hardware related period.
        What is interesting is that an HD will run with failures on EXT3 where
the
same HD will fail running reiserfs.  The tolerances on reiserfs are not as
forgiving... but the bottom line is that the EXT3 file system will eventually
fail also as the HD continues to degrade.  Reiserfs also is prone to failure
with certain chipsets... notoriously the VIA chipset particularly in the
Pentium II AMDK5 -6 era.  Again... not because there is anything wrong with
reiserfs, but because the hardware tolerances were off.
        The answer to my question--- why to hundreds of thousands of machines
run
just fine without failure on reiserfs?--- its valid.  And the answer is
simple... because reiserfs is stable as a rock.
        The main point for the entire discussion is that openSUSE should NOT
drop
reiserfs --- they should embrace it, continue to sponsor it, and continue to
drive Reiser4 towards mainline inclusion in the kernel.  Its a good
filesystem... and it works well for openSUSE.  Plus, that would demonstrate
one of the primary advantages of open source software.

Ps.   Sorry for the snippet about your data backup practices... too much
caffeine...  however, in my own defense I would offer the suggestion that it
might be better to say you lost a drive vs you lost data.   I have lost dives
many times... but I have never lost data...  I know Iknow--semantics.

peace

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><