On Sun, 2007-05-13 at 19:19 -0700, Jerry Houston wrote:
> Mike McMullin wrote:
> >   IIRC Atheros is better served by mad-wifi.  Go the the opensuse site
> > and search for mad-wifi and/or Atheros.  There is adequate info there to
> > allow you to get it up and running under 10.2.
>
> Indeed, it seems so.  Thanks to everyone for your help with this.  And
> thanks to Atheros for opening their specs so a driver could be created.
>
> I've gotten the module installed, and at least partially working,
> because the NetworkManager applet is able to display the available
> wireless networks.  When I try to connect to mine, though, it keeps
> asking for security info, despite that I've given it a correct WEP type
> and value.

  Are you sure about that?  There are 3 WEP options when you try and
connect.  Try cycling through them, and note that you use matching case
on the letters.  Also I think at this point KWallet is going to fire up
to hold the info.  May-hap you could give us a more concise view of what
is occouring.

> Still, this is farther than I've ever gotten before with Linux on this
> laptop.  Once I get the security issue solved, I should be able to do
> real things with Linux on this machine.

  I've been using my laptop when I get the chance.  One thing that I
have noticed is that there are certain venues (Hilton Hotel's in the
states to name one) that offer free wireless, but seem to require you to
use IE to authenticate with.