On 5/17/07, James D. Parra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

"Even if hypothetically there are patent infringements in the Linux kernel,
then the open source community would do the right thing and remove the
offending code and, because open source development moves so rapidly, that
means Linux would no longer be infringing before it even got to court. So
even if Microsoft did have a case, by the time it got to court the case
would be gone and whatever damages that they were able to ask for would be
very minimal."

Sorry!! It can't be done until MS says what "specific" parts of the
kernel is violating it. And given the stupid nature of patenting
system (I had some real taste of it) if MS is been clever to patent
something like "Interrupt Service Routine" concept with a clever
writeup such as "Reverse Feedback  Hardware Interaction Method", then
yes we do need to pay money to MS for all the interrupt service
routines we wrote.

One of my early carrier experience, when startups would try to build
IP portfolio to so that the company could be sold for good money, I
remember writing patent application for codes that was simply
client/server under the text "Intelligent Server Agent". ( I have
changed. I do no more evil :P )

So its clever MS playing tricks by the books where the equal amount of
criticism should go towards the "Patent System".

Regards,

Mohammad