Hello!

On 5/27/07, Darryl Gregorash <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 2007-05-26 23:36, HG wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On 5/25/07, Greg Freemyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> See http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html#matrix for the Sept. 06
>> status matrix.  That should have been accurate for 10.2.  Lots of big
>>
>> Greg
>
> I have just ordered a Promise SATA300 TX4plus. It was the only
I can't find a TX4plus anywhere on the Promise website. Do you mean the
TX4310?

That was what the shop gave as the Promise internal code. The link
they gave, points here:
http://www.promise.com/product/product_detail_eng.asp?segment=undefined&product_id=139

> Do you know more about the status as the table leaves me a little
> confused. The table says that the driver for above Promise does not
> support NCQ, new EH, hotplug or suspend. But when I scrolled up, the
> page says that: "Summary: No TCQ. Newer cards support NCQ. Full SATA
> control including hotplug and PM on all."
What is confusing? The card supports these, but the driver does not. The
comment you quoted about the sata_promise driver suggests that that TCQ
will not be supported in the driver, because there is NCQ support in the
cards.

I do not know if NCQ and TCQ are related in that way as you say - TCQ
is something new to me and my drives do not support that (so, I wont
get it even if the software would support it). Anyways, the Promise
web-site (above) mentions that the card supports both NCQ and TCQ.

The notes after the table say this: "No, feature is not present. The
hardware can support this feature, but driver code does not yet exist to
support it." Note the word "yet".

That was the one word that I missed! 8-) Sorry about that. Yes, what I
was confused about was, what the hardware supports and what the
software supports now or in the future. Now it's clear.

In other words, stay tuned -- the support should be there sometime in
the future. If you absolutely /must/ have all these now, then look for
something that can use the ahci driver, or get a Silicon Image SiI3124
(presumably, though, most if not all of those will be more expensive
than you suggest your budget allows).

I will stay tuned. Obviously I can live without those features (I
mean, how did we store our data before NCQ and TCQ? :-) I'll stay with
the card that I have selected. After all, I want reliable 4-port
solution for home use with my own money... corporate would be
different.

So, all in all, I'm glad to know that what I selected is now supported
by OpenSUSE. And in the future, I might even get better performance.
Thanks!