Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> G T Smith wrote:
>> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>> The Sunday 2007-05-27 at 07:53 -0700, Randall R Schulz wrote:

<Stuff Deleted>

>>> Absolutely.
>
> Well, "data safety" setup is difficult for home use. However, as has
> been pointed out before, usb-storage is cheap.

In comparison to what? In comparison to equivalent HD in a USB drive
caddy maybe. In comparison to 10/20Gb tape definitely. In comparison to
a DVD definitely not.

You can get the advantange of random RW which is damn difficult on most
media orientated DVD/CD devices and media. (DVD-RAM is possible if can
find the media and an appropriate device)

For example, I use
> rsnapshot to do full backups, using symlinks. That's smart, because it
> works automatically, and it in fact "only safes" differential data,
> while still maintaining a "full backup anytime" structure that makes it
> ease to revert to previous (backup-)versions. You can configure it to
> backup yearly, monthly, daily, hourly, minutely..., whatever you need,
> according to your needs.

This is a good serious professional tool, but unfortunately to get the
most out it you need to be a good serious professional.

<< stuff deleted >>

>> The only solution I can see is the use of external media sets. While
>> commercial outfits can afford the hardware and personnel to make
>> differential systems work well with external media and more
>> sophisticated strategies, there is not really anything reliable and easy
>> to use for home users in this category.
>>

> Well, while this may be true, I would think that most home users will be
> ok with an automated, regularly scheduled backup of different
> hours/days,weeks/monthes/years... to external media.

Yep but with what?

I think Verity Stobs summarises the situation of machine deterioration
rather succinctly in the link below...

> http://www.ddj.com/184405140

I am certain that someone can come up with equivalent metrics for linux:-)

> In case that does not suffice, you might add a few more portable
> usb-harddisks, that you store externally at a remote location away from
> your computer.

As in many cases this would lead to a additional 40% -50% of home user
machine cost in backup storage so I doubt it is a goer. They spend the
same much in DVDs in the end but it not an up front financial jolt so
more likely to be born.

> If that does not do the trick, imho your needs are ripe for a
> professional backup solution that needs a professional budget, accordingly.

The difficulty is many of the current home solutions are dire. GHOST has
degenerated from being something very useful to both windows and linux
users to being a temperamental monster. Most others solutions require
some understanding of backup cycles, and systems management.