I'd characterize that as "similar functionality."

Besides, I find it hard to believe it can speed-up the retrieval of
something it doesn't have immediately available to serve locally. Even
if it has something to do with the selective compression, that's only
going to increase latency on the initial fetch and without a large
population of users behind the device to amortize the costs it imposes,
there's less potential for overall improvement.

But it works ! Non-cached data flows very fast with WAAS.
WAAS also has good optimization for SMB protocol. What about Squid ?

--
-Alexey Eremenko "Technologov"