On Friday 08 June 2007, Martin Mielke wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've setup my system to use NTP long time ago.
> es.pool.ntp.org is the server of my choice (yep, I'm located in Spain) and
> the only way to properly get the time from there is by issuing a
> /etc/init.d/ntp restart command as root... which is not what I'm expecting,
> as everything was working perfectly some weeks ago... The same happens with
> my PC at work (also OpenSuSE 10.2)...
>
> Any ideas/hints??

Pick a time server (any time server), and use it's name or IP
instead of pool.  I have found in the past that Pools occasionally
fail and seem to take a few days before someone notices.

Your ISP may run a server. Try pinging ntp.<InsertYourISP.com>
or you can try a local university, or your national government.

Just see if going direct to a time server works, and if so
it must be a pool failure.